August 21, 2011

Earl, Gene, and Jeff Minier


Clif Hullinger and Jeff Minier August 2011

Jeff is the grandson of LtCol Earl Minier of the 109th Engineers who passed away in 1989 and the nephew of Gene Minier of the 109th, killed near Anzio, Italy. Jeff was learning more about his Grandfather and Uncle and the 109th Combat Engineers.



Earl Minier and Gene Minier



Craig,

I just ran across your blog about the 109th Engineers. How exciting! My grandfather (Earl Minier) was a major for that unit (he retired as a Lt. Col, and passed away in 1989) -- and my uncle, Gene was also a member from 1939 until he was killed in 1944 near Anzio. Gene graduated from Brookings high in 1939 -- and joined the guard to serve in his father's unit before Pearl Harbor. I assume that Cliff is your father? Gene and Cliff would have to have known each other very well. And your father must have known my grandfather too.

I found the listing about Gene to be quite interesting -- (as we really don't know much about him. In fact I was unaware of him being carried out after being hit -- in fact, the story I always heard was little different ). Any documentation of service for both Gene and Earl ended up with my Aunts --so I don't know a lot of the details. (And I am guessing that most military records were destroyed in the St. Louis fire?) I would love to share what little I have with you. Are you still active with your blog? Can I submit information to you for posting?

Regards,
Jeff Minier
404-395-9421

__________________

Craig and Cliff,

Fantastic! I can’t wait to hear from you Cliff. My own father was born in 1939 – and has no memory of Gene. His sisters were a bit older – but as children, they really don’t have many interesting memories they can share with me about him – especially nothing about the 109th/34th division. My grandfather always told stories – mostly about politics in Brookings – but some about his time in WWII. At the time, I was really too young to know enough to pay attention and to listen carefully to what he said. I had hoped that one day, I would learn the entire chronology of the 109th/34thdivision, where the men went, what they saw, what they endured, but it’s been a bit difficult to find this information.
As for me, I can’t begin to describe the respect and love I feel for my uncle, my grandfather and the men of 34th division. To be honest, I get a little teary-eyed already thinking about having the opportunity to correspond with you, Cliff.

I can’t wait.

Regards,
Jeff Minier







 

No comments:

Post a Comment