August 26, 2011

Good Article on WWII



Good article!!    When Ernie Pyle wrote his article, the 36th was fighting the battle of San Pietro and  my "trip" over the mountain from venafro was on their right flank although there may have been a "Special force"  Bn  between us.   Lt Hummel was sent on a patrol by the I33 Inf Regt to try to Make contact with them.   I asked if he wanted me to go with him and was greatly relieved when he said that I should stay and lead the rest of our platoon.  I was very happy to see them come back after a few hours - no contact. 

I figured I would be leading the search party if they didnt come back and  had no idea of where they  were going. We were on top of that big mountain and  there no landmarks or trails on the maps to let us orient ourselves.  He  may have had a map but I hadn't seen it.  The mule trains with the bodies showed us which trail lead back towards  Venafro.   This was about 2 weeks after Lt.Belensky was killed and   I hadn't worked with  Lt. Hummel  before.  he hadn't thought to show or tell me who or where was his contact with the 133rd so it would have been interesting so say the least.  

Cliff Hullinger

No comments:

Post a Comment